Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bitter Sweet


Our district started back this past week. It has been a week full of different emotions for me. I always loved the first week of school. I loved the teacher prep days before school starts. I loved getting my classroom set up and ready. I loved getting my class schedule and list of students. The first week is crazy, disorganized, but very exciting. Each school year is a new beginning full of promise. That is one of the things I love about teaching. Every year has a definite beginning and end. As a teacher you are able to feel like you have completed and accomplished something great year after year. I was going to go back to teaching part-time for '09-'10, but decided not to last month. I've felt pretty good about my decision, but this week has been hard. I feel like I am missing out or being left behind in a way. I've been teaching for 6 years now and it is weird not doing all this beginning of school stuff. I think it is especially hard because I don't see myself returning to teaching anytime soon. I want to be home with my kids and am planning on having a few more. It is so weird to think that most likely I won't be back in the classroom for 10+ years. I mean I've been in school as a student/teacher since I was 5 years old, 23 years total, that's a long time for a 28 year old. Don't get me wrong, I am excited to be home with Carson. We have so much fun together every day! I am so blessed to be able to be home with him and not have to go to work (thanks Steve). I guess it will just take some getting used to.

3 comments:

Aleena said...

You are so talented and cute Leah! You know the counsel, there is a time and a season for everything. You are a great mom! Carson is a lucky kid!

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

I hear ya! I had to be forcibly restrained from buying school supplies at Walmart. It's so hard. School started here in Seattle today, without me, so I sharpened myself a nice pretty bouquet of pencils!

kelleyplus said...

My mom worked. I never had a relationship with her until I became an adult. You will NEVER regret the time you took to be with your children in the long run-NEVER!
Mom