Thursday, June 2, 2011

Speech

A few months ago I noticed that Carson's vocabulary and annunciation seemed to be lacking compared to other kids his age. He was learning and improving, but at a very slow rate. As a special ed teacher =) I decided to contact the Regional Center and request a speech evaluation. A few weeks later a speech pathologist and representative from the Regional Center came to our home and tested him...and yep, he definitely has a speech delay.

I was so interesting observing how they tested him. His cognitive levels are high for his age, but he has a delay in his expressive language. Because of budget cuts a kid can only qualify for services if they are:
a) 50% or more behind in one category, or
b) 1/3 behind in two categories.
He was identified with having a fine motor delay as well which was a surprise to me. His gross motor is so advanced that I didn't even notice his fine motor was lacking. He doesn't get services for this though. They just told me things I can do to help him improve. They wanted to put the two delays down in writing so he would qualify for the speech delay.

ANYWAY, He had his first speech appointment today and he loved it. His therapist is so great and she has a lot of toys! Carson had so much fun. I'm happy because it is very close to my house. He gets two 45 minute sessions twice a week. When he turns three the Regional Center turns him over to the school district and he will get to go to pre-school, YIPPY (for him and me!)

I know if Carson wasn't doing speech he would catch up eventually. I'm just so glad that I went through these steps so he can catch-up faster and before he starts getting frustrated. It's nice after paying taxes to fund all of the various government programs we can finally take advantage of one =).

FYI: If you think your kid might have some sort of delay it is much easier to get them services before they turn two. I'd contact your child's doctor and he can let you know who to contact. It might have been more information then you wanted, but there you go.

4 comments:

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

I HATE having a private blog. Hate it. But what do ya do? I want to keep reading yours! You're a great mom! emilybohman at gmail

kelleyplus said...

Good Girl Leah!

Sara said...

So glad that you did this. I am a fan of the REgional Center after working with them with Sadie and Sebie :) Carson is going to catch up quick because he has you for a mom :)

Sara said...

So glad that you did this. I am a fan of the REgional Center after working with them with Sadie and Sebie :) Carson is going to catch up quick because he has you for a mom :)