Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Book Review #1 A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

I love to read and am always looking for suggestions of good books. I thought I would start writing little reviews on recent books I've read. My latest read was A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. All I can say is holy crap! It is her biography/memoir of the 18 years she was held in captivity by the hands of a convicted rapist and child molester.

I couldn't put it down. I was worried that it would be a difficult read due to the disturbing nature, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. She is amazingly normal for all the things that happened to her. She had two children while in captivity and they are all currently doing well and living fairly normal lives. It focused a little too much on her cats and the animals she trains in her therapy for my taste. I'm not a huge animal person though so maybe those parts won't drag for you if you are a cat lover. I highly recommend this book. It will remind you of not only the evil in this world, but the good as well. Jaycee's experience exemplifies the strength of the human spirit and the power to overcome anything.

2 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I'm glad you posted about this . . . i forgot I wanted to read this one! :)

I just read a good book - Still Alice.

kelleyplus said...

Such sick people in the world. Unfortunately I was at Liberty park and saw a man on a bench watching the kids at the little pool area and immediately wanted to go up and slap him. Not good-