Thursday, January 13, 2011

Friendship

I was driving a few days ago listening to the “Coffee House” channel on Sirius radio (it’s all live/acoustic/mellow stuff.) Anyway, the song The Power of Two, by the Indigo Girls came on and all the sudden Sophomore year at Ricks came flooding back to me and all of the fun my roommate and best friend there, Amanda and I, had together. It made me pause and think how grateful I am for the friends that I have had throughout my life.
My friends in high school helped me figure out who I am. I had a fantastic high school experience and it is because of them. Of course, I had my share of heartbreak and high school betrayals like anyone else, but through those experiences I learned who my true friends where and how to be a true friend. Thank you Katie, Yvonne, Jackie, Dianne, Julianne, and Matt for always being there for me. 

College was the funnest (is that a real word or isn’t it) time of my life. I was able to live away from home with roommates and figure out how to become an adult. So much happens during college. I picked a career, traveled to some amazing places, and got married. I met some of the best people I know during those 4 (okay 5) years. Thank you Amanda, Mimi, Laurel, Josh, and of course my hubby Steve for sharing in those amazing times! 

I was able to live outside the country twice for a total of 8 months throughout my college years. Living in a foreign country enables you to create a very special bond with the people you share that with. Thank you Kim for serving in Ecuador with me and Heather for exploring Fiji, New Zealand, and Australia with me. The experience of getting married and all the sudden having to make married, couple friends was hard! Luckily Steve and I made great couple friends our first year of marriage. Kendall and Ryan, you guys are the greatest!

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve made really great friends here and I love them, but once you are married and have kids friendships aren’t like they used to be. My main focus is on my little family now, like it should be, but it’s kind of sad all the same. I guess what I am trying to say with this post is to thank all of my friends over the years for shaping the person I am and for the memories.

**Revision** I do have to say that Carolyn and Aaron Petersen are our "favorite" couple we've met since college, even though they left us and moved to South Dakota... Sorry for leaving you out Carolyn, but I'm still hurt over the whole move...

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Thank you for your friendship too Leah! I'll always cherish (and laugh about) our jr. high and high school memories! Remember "The Big Scare", our quartet and me lying about my dad having the Green Day CD?? Too funny! Miss you Le!

California Blakes said...

Love your post! Remember our weekly sleepovers and making gifts for our sunday school class? What were we thinking?? Since being in YW I especially appreciate having you in my high school life. It was always so assuring having a friend not only at school but at church and who understood that whole other part of us.
xoxo...

Kendall Watkins said...

We love you so much too! You guys have been such great friends to us. I know we may never live near each other again, but I will always enjoy our phone conversations and hearing from you guys. I hope things are good with you guys and your cute new baby. I need some more Carson stories. He is such a character and so cute.

Carolyn said...

Um...excuse me? I'm pretty sure there are at least two names that should have made the cut but didn't. Is this because Alex told you that you needed to lose weight because he was only 5...Com'on!

Amanda P said...

Leah! I am just delighted to have made the list. Songs from the good 'ol college days always make me so nastalgic too. Most of my favorite college memories I share with you. I know this sounds cheesy, but we seriously had some great/hillarious/outrageous times huh. From ridiculous answering machine messages, to pots on Alexus' bed, to CRAZY roommates, to my see-through/purple hair, to clothes dyed red, and I could go on and on. Also, you helped me be a bit more "Go Ricks!" :)