Friday, June 6, 2014

Beginning and End of Transitional Kindergarten

First day of school:

Last day of school:
(He was cold if you can't tell)
Carson had a really good year. I had the hardest time deciding if we should put him in TK and I'm so glad we did. Last year he was in a special speech delay preschool with 9 students and 3 teachers. I loved it. The teachers were wonderful and genuinely loved Carson. I hated taking him out of that environment and putting him in a general ed class with 34 students and ONE teacher. In the end we knew it would be beneficial for him to be in a class with non-speech-delayed-peers as well as a class more academically focused.

I was a hard transition the first month or so, but once Carson (and I) got used to the way things were everything was fine. I am blown away at how much he has learned this year. I love this age and the thirst for knowledge. It's too bad high schoolers aren't as excited to learn as 5-year-olds! I don't think I knew all he does until I was at least a 1st grader. Things are so different now. It seems like a kid basically has to be reading before even entering kindergarten.

I am so glad California moved the kindergarten cut-off date from December to September. There was no way Carson would have been ready last year. I have no worries for this coming school year. He is ready and is going to rock it! He will continue his speech and occupational services into kindergarten. He doesn't really need OT anymore. I just wanted to keep it one more year to give him a little added support. We are both so proud of our Carson and the sweet and funny boy that he is!

The Oakbrook Elementary School Transitional Kindergarten Class
(Sept 2 - Dec 2 birthdays)

Carson and his teacher Mrs. DeMorales

No comments: