Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Biggest Loser Update

Well, we just passed the 1/2 way mark (4 weeks) of our biggest loser couples competition and things are going pretty well. I've lost 7 and Steve's lost 11 lbs on our scale. According to the official weigh-in for the competition  I've lost 11 and Steve's lost 17 lbs. (We had our first weigh-in at night after big meals and a lot of water.) I think we are in 4th place right now. I feel pretty good about my numbers- due to the fact that I shouldn't be losing tons anyway b/c of nursing and that it is hard for me to lose while I am nursing as well. I mean heck, Luke is only 6 weeks old and I am well on my way!

In the past to drop pounds I've counted calories and done Weight Watcher points, but this time we are focusing on high protein, low carbs, no sugar, no flour, etc. way of eating. I've been surprised how quickly I've grown accustomed to it. The no sugar has been the hardest part for me. No crackers or snacky items hasn't been hard at all. It is different than anything I've ever done because I am not hungry. In the past I've had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and an hour later I am hungry again. Now I have an omelet with lots of veggies and bacon bits and I am full until lunch. It's just a fact, protein keeps you a lot fuller. I thought I'd be eating a lot more meat, but my meat intake really hasn't increased much. I am eating WAY MORE vegetables, and snacking on nuts and cheese. Just to clarify I don't think carbs are the enemy or anything. I'll have a high fiber pita sandwich a few times a week for example.

It is crazy how my body has "re-programed" it's self. Last week I ate some candy and I found myself hungrier for the next few days then usual and my cravings for sugar were a lot stronger. Another thing that happened was we went to a super bowl party where there was a baked potato bar and I had a big old potato. By the time I got home I was drowsy, with no energy. It was a very strong carbohydrate coma. This is not something I am planning on doing forever, but doing this has opened my eyes on all the empty carbs (calories) that I was consuming. When looking at a nutritional label in the past I never worried about the amount of carbs, but now I will. I would encourage anyone who is looking to lose weight or re-program their body to try this type of eating out.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

You are doing great! I never lost more than 10 lbs a month, so the fact that you've lost 11 (or even 7) is great! I totally hear you on the hard to lose while nursing too. After Kate, it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose anything, but I think each time is different, since I was able to do it this time. Who knows, maybe you will get lucky too. That is really interesting about the carbs. I eat only whole grains, but when it comes to labels I only look at fat, calories, fiber and protein , maybe I should try to look at carbs too. These last 7lbs are killing me! I can't believe you cut out sugar! You are my inspiration. Give me chocolate!

The Skeehan Family said...

That is AWESOME! Great job Lee! I am in awe that you have lost so much. And Steve too?? That's impressive. You are so good at being disciplined. So many proteins is a good idea - I totally agree, they definitely fill you up better than anything else.

Dan decided to cut sugar out of our diets right now - we are still doing carbs - just not sugar... and I wish I was feeling as well as you do - I'm in a little bit of withdrawal. Now granted, we get a cheat day on the weekends so maybe that is why I still look at my M&M's with such longing... who knows.

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I'm just amazed you're able to do this with all the sleep deprivation. I've managed to lose about 2 pounds a week since we've gotten back on Weight Watchers. I wish we had a bunch of people to be doing it with. At least I've got Cody!

Anonymous said...

Ps this is Annie- not Cody although I'm sure he shares in my congratulations and support!

Trina said...

Avoiding carbs and sugar with high protein and lots of vegetables is how Trent and I lost all of our weight. I had always struggled and eating like the weight melted off. You and Steve are doing great. That is a lot of weight to lose in a month.

Laurel said...

Good job Leah! You are doing awesome! 7 pounds is legitimate, respectable weight loss. I would LOVE to lose 7 pounds in a month. I think I'll call you this weekend to get some more details on what you've been doing.

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Dude way to freakin go!!! That is amazing, I'm so impressed. I completely agree with the energy issue. I always wonder why I have no energy and then I'll check and see when the last time I ate salad or veggies was and I'm like, makes sense. Ahh the no sugar thing, that would be the hardest. I need to just do it once so I realize what a hold it has on my diet. Can't wait to see you this weekend!!!