Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Update


I went to the doctor this morning. I am 2 ½ cm dilated and 70% effaced. We might end up with a Christmas baby after all, we’ll see. The back pain is only getting worse. Weekends it feels better because Steve is home chasing and picking-up Carson. I was thinking today that I would gladly trade the pain for an extra month of pregnancy! 

In other news…Carson has now decided that he doesn’t need naps or night time sleep anymore. I’ve been reading in my favorite book “Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child” that frequently around a child’s 2nd birthday napping has to be reinforced. It doesn’t help that he can climb out of his crib now either. (Still no interest in his big boy bed.) I know he still needs a nap because he gets so tired. And I honestly don’t care if he needs one or not, because I NEED him to take one! 

The other morning he woke up at 4:30 am ready for the day to begin. Steve and I took turns placing him in his crib, standing outside his door waiting for him to jump out of his crib and walk into the hall, then placing him back in his crib- until 6 am. By 6 we stopped and started the day. He’ll also wake-up in the middle of the night and come in to get us. It’s like he forgot how to self sooth like he used to be able to. The middle of the night isn’t too bad because it isn’t very hard to get him to go back down. Nap time is definitely the hardest. 

Any advice from anyone who has gone through this? We bought a door lock (the kind that goes on the door handle) and decided that he could cry himself to sleep on the floor. The first time we tried to use this technique he used his Handy Manny plastic screwdriver to pry the thing off. And who says kids don’t learn anything from T.V. I think I might try to duct tape it. Don’t get me wrong, I hate to lock him in but I am at my wits end here. And the thought of adding a new baby on top of this… HELP FRIENDS! 

To end on a good note Carson didn’t resist or cry at nursery this last Sunday. Hooray! At least that problem is solved. =)

9 comments:

Music4 said...

Oh Leah, I am so sorry! When my kids have gotten too big to take naps,but they still needed one, I would just lay with them until they fell asleep.I would make them lay down in their beds and I would just kneel down next to their bed and pretty much not let them up till they fell asleep. I always would just pretend to sleep, with my eyes closed. Sometimes I would fall asleep too so I'm not sure if that will work with the new baby. But I think that if they thought I was going to sleep, then they could too. This may or may not work for you, but hopefully something will! I will be thinking about you and hoping that he will start sleeping for you! Maybe he is just figuring out that things are going to change pretty quick for him. But he will adjust and hopefully the sleeping thing will get a little easier! I will say a little prayer for you tonight!

Laura Horne said...

Uh, no one turn me in to CPS or anything, but we totally locked/lock Amos in his room. He started flipping out of his crib so ridiculously early it was crazy. Anyway, he's picked a few locks and he usually finds something really messy/dangerous to get into when he does. I'd rather have him locked in than roaming the house while we sleep.

Aleena said...

Dan turned the handle around in the bedroom and we totally locked Lea and then Jonah in their rooms when they were two and even three. Just stay calm when you are doing it and try not to feel guilty about it. They need it and it will get better. Good luck - I'll say a prayer for you too!

Amber Bonner said...

We've locked our kids in too- dang those "child-proof" doorknob things. They haven't stopped most of our kids from escaping.

We gave up on naps for most of my kids by about 2 or 2 1/2. They won't sleep, and if I sit with them I fall asleep and they still don't. We've had them do quiet time- looking at books, whatever, in their rooms for a while. But, that doesn't really work for long, either, because of the big kids being up, or because I don't want to spend an hour cleaning up the destroyed bedroom. . .

Basically, I'm no help! Sorry!

Good luck, though! ;)

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Ok I've been thinking if there's any good advice I can give you. Hard thing is ever kid is so different you really have no idea how long it will last. It could be just a short phase, fingers crossed. But I think you guys are doing the right thing by just reinforcing him staying in his room. Ollie stopped taking naps at like 20 months so you've already got me beat. I found that if I counted on a nap, it usually didn't happen and then I was so inconvenienced. So just watch for the days he doesn't need one and let it slide and the days he does need one, don't budge and get him locked in his room and if he's really tired, he'll fall asleep. And you know what, the great thing is that newborns are usually just sleeping for the first few months. When Ami came I felt like I was neglecting her cause Ollie needed so much more than her. I would seriously forget she was around:) So it's not too bad. You'll survive. You can always ship Carson to my house:) We're heading to mom and dad's this evening and I'm bummed we won't see you guys. It's weird you won't be there! And look at you already moving along! I bet you labor when it starts is gonna take off! Love you, call me if you need to go crazy for a minute.

Jackie said...

Hope you are feeling good Leah. I'll be thinking about you and anxiously checking your blog for more updates. Happy Holidays!

Lindsay Griffeth said...

OH, Leah. I am so sorry! I'm pretty sure my Ryan is going to be just like your Carson. He's a little monster - a totally different kid than Nate so maybe your #2 will be calm. :)

We absolutely lock Nate in his room. We reversed the lock so he'd have to get really lucky to open it.

I also love that book - it has saved me on numerous occasions. Nate didn't decide to stop napping until closer to 3 so at that point we just switched to quiet time. The ONE thing that I loved from that book is how they talk over and over about how sleep begets sleep. When they are overtired, they won't sleep as well. Because Nate doesnt nap and Ryan is a crappy napper - both kids are in bed EARLY. Ryan is in bed at 6:15pm and Nate is in bed at 6:45. That has helped them TREMENDOUSLY. It's a sacrifice most of the time but it's totally worth it for us. They can now catch up on some sleep at night. Maybe an earlier bedtime for Carson? We taught Nate the #7 and put a clock in his room so he knows he's supposed to stay in there until the first number is a 7and for the most part, it works.

But I agree with Becky - you're reinforcing that naptime still does occur and that you can't just be up in the middle of the night. Buy some ear plugs.

I REALLY hope Carson snaps out of it before baby #2 makes his arrival.

Carolyn said...

All three of our kids stopped taking naps at 2. So, we flipped their door handle and locked the into their rooms. It was fabulous and eventually worked to keep them in bed at least for the night

Katie said...

Have you tried a crib tent? Or maybe put a door knob that can lock on his door but put it on the outside of his door so you can lock it and unlock it from your side. Hope this helps. I know how frustrating it can be and good luck!