Saturday, December 25, 2010

Now introducing... Luke William Bonner

Right after birth

He’s here! Two weeks early, born Christmas Eve at 10:17 pm.  Luke is 6 lbs, 14 oz, 21 inches long. Here are more details about the birth story for anyone interested. 

We had just gotten home from a nice Christmas dinner and playtime at an indoor play area. We were about to put Carson to bed and I felt a popping sensation then A TON of water. My water broke with Carson, but it was just a trickle. This was a waterfall. We called the Olsen’s and sweet Anissa rushed right over and picked Carson up. (Thank you Olsens for helping Carson have such a fun Christmas!) My labor with Carson went really fast so we got to the hospital as quick as we could. I told them that I go fast and that I definitely wanted an epidural, but I guess they didn’t believe me. 

Once the contractions were about 2 minutes apart and intensifying they checked me and I was 5 ½ cm, 90% effaced. At that point they called in the anesthesiologist. She showed up 30 minutes later and was asking me questions, etc. All the sudden the contractions felt a lot different (burning, ripping, pushing sensation if we are being honest, sorry). I told them something was wrong, they said you’re fine-- until I told them that I was starting to push. The nurse checked me and said that it was too late for an epidural and that the baby was almost out. 3 pushes later and Luke was out. I couldn’t believe it. The doctor almost didn’t make it. He just plopped right out on the bed. So crazy. I’m still ticked over the whole epidural thing, but at least it was quick! I can’t believe all you poor women who do labor naturally and it lasts for hours and hours. Wow!
Proud Daddy

Happy Mommy
Ready for the ride home. They gave Luke a Christmas beanie in the hospital.

 We were discharged today and got to open presents with Carson tonight. He was very excited to come home to a baby. He loves little babies. It's a little scary though!  My Mom got here this afternoon and will be here for the week to help out. Thank goodness! My sister Laura is on a mission in Korea and we got to conference call with her today too, so much excitement!  I’m feeling good, not too sore. Thanks for all the well wishes and Merry Christmas!
Meeting baby brother for the first time.

What a sweet brother!












10 comments:

Music4 said...

Yea!!!! He is beautiful! Congrats! I am sure you are one happy mommy! I am glad that it went quick and that he is finally here! Merry Christmas!

Carolyn said...

Congratulations to you and your family! Although you got screwed on the epidural at least you are pregnant free! Dont' feel bad about liking one kid over the other at first. I hear that happens but I was never a bad enough mom to experience that - just saying.

Leesee said...

He's adorable! What a fun Christmas present.

Nate and Nicole said...

Congratulations! What a great Christmas present. I love the pictures of Carson with his baby brother. And, you look great :)! I think the good thing about going fast and no epidural is the recovery is a lot quicker!

Lindsay Griffeth said...

YAY FOR YOU! I'm so excited for you guys. A Christmas Eve baby . . . how wonderful.

And I LOVE the name Luke.

Aleena said...

Congratulations! Luke is precious! I'm so happy for you and your family!

The Skeehan Family said...

Those pictures are WONDERFUL. He is beautiful. And I love the pictures of Carson looking at him - I have a feeling he's going to be a great older brother :)

And ps... Still can't believe how fast you went. Holy moley my dear.

Jeremy and Jennifer said...

He is so adorable!!! I can't believe how fast you went and came home the next day!! Good luck with 2 kids:) It's crazy fun!!

Jackie said...

Congratulations Leah! Luke is just beautiful. I am glad everything went well and that you are feeling good. What a wonderful Christmas gift. Love ya!

Scott McMillan said...

congratulations Leah!! He is sooo cute and love the name Luke. That was Tyler's alternative. What a great Christmas present!! Wishing you some sleep.