Monday, December 27, 2010

Operation Door Lock has Commenced!

Thanks everyone who commented and gave advice last week on how to deal with Carson and his new sleeping habits. I thought I'd give a little update for any interested.Our first night home with Luke was a nightmare and it wasn't because of Luke. Carson was up from 3:15 am to 6 am when we gave up on sleep and started the day. During all this Luke was up on and off (typical newborn stuff). The day before we bought a door lock, but hadn't had time to install it because we were busy birthing a baby. Anyway around 4 am Steve had had it and installed the door lock. He cried and pounded/kicked the door for about two hours. Once he fell a sleep at 6 I made the mistake of going in there wanting to turn off the light and put him in bed, but I woke him up. Stupid on my part. He had taken his diaper off during the tantrum and got poop all over the room. Anyway, a HORRIBLE NIGHT overall to say the least.

Last night we were not looking forward to bedtime obviously. Steve had a firm talk with Carson, showed him the lock again and told him he was not to get out of bed. MIRACLES of MIRACLES he didn't get out of bed once last night!! He stayed in his crib until 6:15 and knocked on the door and Steve opened it for him right away. He has been praised all morning long and got to watch a lot of Wiggles this morning as a reward. We are so happy!

Luke is doing pretty good at night. It will take him a while to learn his days from nights and he is still getting the hang of nursing, but over all it's good. I forget how easy newborns can be compared to two year olds. They sleep all the time and don't require much at first. The hardest part is the lack of sleep at night.

So hopefully last night wasn't a one night thing. Lets hope he will do it again!

5 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I've been wondering how Carson has been doing so thanks for the update! YAY that he made it one night! It's amazing how fast they can sometimes tell that you're SERIOUS!

I'm glad Luke is seeming easy for you! I really enjoyed the beginning this go around . . . as soon as Ryan started moving life is over again!

Aleena said...

Yay! That is cause to celebrate! Great job! I can't wait to see that cute little Luke in person!

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Yay Carson! Seriously that is the best miracle a new mom and dad could get! Oh and I just love that first pic of you and Luke on the last post. You look so great for just having that little guy. Be honest, don't you totally feel a huge difference post-partum without the meds. I remember feeling so much better after Ami, crazy. But yeah, I am dying to be there and hold that little boy. Love the name Luke, it just feels right. Let me know how tonight goes, I'll be thinking of you guys!

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Yay Carson! Seriously that is the best miracle a new mom and dad could get! Oh and I just love that first pic of you and Luke on the last post. You look so great for just having that little guy. Be honest, don't you totally feel a huge difference post-partum without the meds. I remember feeling so much better after Ami, crazy. But yeah, I am dying to be there and hold that little boy. Love the name Luke, it just feels right. Let me know how tonight goes, I'll be thinking of you guys!

Laurel said...

YEAHHHHHH Carson! So happy that you at least got ONE good night. I hope more are on their way.