Saturday, November 19, 2011

Texas

Port Arthur boardwalk
Steve had an opportunity to help with a massive start-up of a new refinery in Port Arthur, Texas. Once completed it will be the largest oil refinery in North America. Shell brought in employees from all over to help and he was one of them. The start up was supposed to be 6 weeks so the kids and I decided to come for the first two weeks to try to break up the time. The kids did really good on the flight. At the time Steve wasn't sure if he would be able to fly back with us for the weekend, but once we got here he found out he could, THANK GOODNESS! It would have been terrible to do by myself. Actually, they aren't quite ready for him yet so the great news is he gets to come back with us through the end of November. Then, fingers crossed, he'll be done in time for Christmas.

We had a one-bedroom apartment, which wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be, but boy am I grateful for my house now! We would drop Steve off at work so we could have the car and the kids and I explored. There isn't much to explore here...We went to a few parks, shopped a little, went to a few new resturants, nothing too exciting. The gulf coast is very interesting. Port Arthur is on the Louisiana boarder and everyone has thick accents. I stuck out like a sore thumb.  It is lush and there is a lot of water. It is humid though, and tons of mosquitoes. If you want to go outside you have to spray on bug spray. The people weren't as friendly as I thought they would be, which was very surprising. We could easily move here if we wanted, and I sure don't.

**BOWLING WITH THE KIDS FOR THE FIRST TIME 
Carson's victory dance
Luke keeping score

 **THE DUCK PARK (as Carson named it)



We spent a weekend in Austin and met some of our dear Fairfield friends who had recently moved to Midland, Texas. I loved Austin! It was so lush and green with beautiful rivers. The city was very clean and welcoming. Plus there is amazing shopping there. Supposedly they have an amazing live music scene, which is right up my ally. I'd love to go back without kids sometime.
Xander, Zac, Carson (classic Carson picture), and Haven
I think Carson's favorite part of the weekend was riding in their big car!
Jennie and I
It was so wonderful to spend time with the Lovells. They are truly the nic est people I know. There kids LOVE Carson. You don't find big kids that are so willing and happy to play with little kids very often. Carson was in heaven being the center of attention. We went to the zoo, swam in the hotel pool, played at the park, ate out a lot. Nothing too exciting, it was just fun being together.


**AUSTIN ZOO



Jennie loving Luke
Carson LOVES his buddy Zac

**Playing at a Local Park
Filling up his shoes for the better good... (see below)

The better good being covering the slide with bark chips
In all I'm glad we decided to come with Steve, but I am so glad to be home. I missed the stability of our daily routine and my kids' behaviors and sleeping sure showed that too! Not knowing anyone here, and not having many people to talk to made me miss my friends. It was great going to Bunco last night and seeing everyone. Now all I am wishing for is that the kids will get off of Texas time and back to California time. Yesterday Carson woke up at 4:20 am and this morning it was 4:40...Needless to say Steve and I are exhausted!

1 comment:

annieq84 said...

HA I love Carson just leading all those big kids around! He just aches to be a part of that big crew. Well if you guys ever end up moving to Texas maybe we'll go with ya!