Friday, January 4, 2008

Thailand






Thailand: It was a 4 hour flight into Bangkok. We got there in the afternoon and we were unsure of what to do. After getting to our hotel we called a taxi company and had someone take us on a 5 hour tour. He first drove us to the main part of town and we took a long boat ride through part of the city. We saw more temples and a lot of slums built right over the water. We bought a wooden carved elephant from a peddler selling on a row boat that pulled up to our boat. Our tour guide drove us around the palace. Thailand has a king who has been reigning for 60 years. There are pictures of him everywhere. They seem to really love him. The palace was spectacular! He then dropped us off at the famous night market where we were able to bargain for designer handbags and sunglasses, etc. It was pretty fun. In my opinion one hour there was not enough… Everyone had told us how cheep Thailand was, but b/c the US dollar is so week now, it’s not as cheep as it use to be =( There were many other places we wanted to see in Thailand, like the floating markets, but we got there too late and everything was closed. If we had to do it over again I think we would have spent two days there instead of one. Oh Well. The next morning we boarded a small plane for Krabi, which is in the south. It was about an hour flight. Krabi is a beach resort town. Our hotel was about a 5 minute walk from the beach. Krabi is similar to Hawaii, just more lush. I feel like we were the only Americans there. I guess b/c we are so far away from Thailand. It was so nice to just be able to relax and soak-up the sun for a few days. We spend a lot of time lying on the beach and swimming in the warm water. One day we took a day trip to 4 different islands via a long boat. We snorkeled and had all sorts of fun! Another day we rented a scooter and explored. We found a hike to a Temple at the top of a cliff. It was 13,000 STEEP steps to the top, but we made it! It was an amazing view. There were signs every where about where to go if there was a Tsunami. The tsunami in 2004 just devastated this region. There were lots of monkeys there. If you fed them they would crawl on your lap. I keep trying to convince Steve that we should buy a monkey, but I don’t think it is working…

9 comments:

Kendall Watkins said...

That sounds like fun and it looks beautiful. I am so jealous! I am glad you had fun.

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

How wonderful! Seriously if I could spend my whole life traveling I would. I think being around different people and cultures is so energizing. Those beaches look gorgeous, I'm jealous of your nice tan bods. I'm glad that you had so much fun and that the Bonner's are doing so well. I'm sure they are loved!

California Blakes said...

What an amazing trip!! I'm so glad you had such a great time!
Miss you!!

Tristan said...

That looks so incredible! The pictures are just beautiful! Gotta add that to my book of places I want to visit.

Peter Winstead said...

The beaches remind me of Hawaii. Pete said the water is very clear there but not as blue as Hawaii's water. You suck!!!
Regan

Peter Winstead said...

The beaches remind me of Hawaii. Pete said the water is very clear there but not as blue as Hawaii's water. You suck!!!
Regan

Lindsay Griffeth said...

You two are quite the travelers! I love it! Sounds like an amazing trip.

The Skeehan Family said...

Me=Jealous!!! Can I live vicariously through you? Seriously, I love changing diapers and all... but I would LOVE to change diapers on a BEACH :) And look, I'm finally reading your blog... TOOK ME LONG ENOUGH... oh and ps, I'll totally help convince Steve to let you get a monkey! :)

Scott McMillan said...

Soo jealous!! I am so glad that you guys had such a great trip and that everything is going well.