Thursday, March 18, 2010

Looking for a life changing experience?

August 2001-December 2001 I was in Cuenca Ecuador doing volunteer work in orphanages. The organization I served in O.S.S.O (Orphanage Support Services Organization) is struggling to find volunteers due to the recession. They are in desperate need of more volunteers in order to keep the program going and to offer services to the orphanages. I got an alumni email today and they are asking us to let as many people know about this amazing opportunity as we can. If you or anyone you know is searching for something they can do to help change the world this is it! Going to Ecuador was one of the most amazing things I have ever done. I was able to experience living in a foreign (3rd world) country, which I would have never done otherwise. Cuenca is absolutely beautiful by the way! I was able to give myself wholly and completely to the kids I worked with. It was so wonderful to be able to not have to worry or focus on anything other than SERVICE for 4 months. I also made life-long friends. Everyone there was amazing.

I’m not sure how different the program is now then when I went 9 years ago- but I lived in a large house with 20+ other girls, as well as a local family who are the directors. We had a maid and a cook. We took Spanish classes the first 6 weeks and had 1-2 shifts a day at an orphanage. I worked at the special needs orphanage. There is also a Catholic orphanage run by nuns and a new orphanage started by O.S.S.O right next door. We had free time to shop and site-see locally. We went on 1 excursion a month, but the main focus in on service, not sightseeing. Before I left we (me and 7 other girls) went to the Amazon for a week, which I highly recommend (not included in the price). Like I said though, I’m not sure what is different and what is the same is now.

Here is some background about O.S.S.O. The organization was started by a Doctor at Ricks College. He and his family traveled to Cuenca and saw the need. I’m not sure of the details on how long you can go for or cost, you’ll have to check the website for that. As far as I know you cannot earn college credits for going and you have to pay your own way. If you know someone who is at a point in their life where they can take off for a few months tell them about this. Going to Ecuador taught me so much about myself and made me such a better person. GO!!! You can get all the information you need here: 
http://www.orphanagesupport.org/

I’ve included a few pictures. Enjoy. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I love talking about my time there.

The kids at "Special Kids" the special needs orphanage.

The river in Cuenca. We would walk by it everyday as we walked to the orphanage.

Pablo, my favorite little guy at Special Kids.

Turi, a type of day care in the mountains where we would volunteer a few days a week at.

A group of us with our guide in the Amazon.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow, I didn't know that about you Mrs. Leah Bonner! Good for you, what a great experience and great example for your kids!

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Yes! Go to Ecuador! Following my sister's footsteps there was totally unforgetable. Now they have the special kids in their own OSSO orphanage. Wouldn't that have been the best? I want to go back so bad. Hey we should go for a couple weeks...wait, we have kids, shoot.

kelleyplus said...

I remember when Becky and I went to Turi. My two angels with hearts expanding for others. Blessings!

Kimberlee said...

GREAT memories Leah! I don't get the email anymore so do you mind forwarding me any cool info you get? I'll have to send out an email to friends that might be interested as well! Made me miss "our kids"....