Friday, November 9, 2007

Count down to ThanksGiving Break...

Another work week is over and I couldn't be more thrilled. It's been a long one, that's for sure. We had our Young Woman in Excellence program Tuesday night at the church. I was in charge of the music. We didn't have much time to practice, but the girls sure pulled it off. It is quite a relief to have that over and done with.

Steve is still in turn-around at the refinery. If I get home from school before 5:00 pm I can usually catch him before he leaves for work. Then he gets home at 7:00 am when I am leaving for work. They are suppose to be done this weekend. It will be great to have my husband back.

I have come down with the horrible cold that has been going around. It's been effecting my thought processes here at work. This morning I referred to my I.A Nicole as Mrs. Bonner in front of the whole class. She was up by the board and I asked, "Mrs. Bonner can you write the following names on the board?" Now the kids know that I really don't feel very good.

One more story, yesterday I had a student who wouldn't stop talking. After multiple warnings I asked him to move his seat. He said, "it's only 'cuz I'm white". I can't tell you how often I hear that sentence with a fill in the race blank at the end. I told him, and the rest of the class, that if you are going to choose to talk back to me please say something cleaver or Witty. I'm sick of the useless, stupid remarks. At least try to make me laugh or something. I think I am going to make it a new class rule...

5 comments:

Becky, Ryan, Oliver, Amelie, and Nora said...

Good rule! I think it's really sad that even kids now can make themselves such victims. I bet it's sad to see those kids not live up to their potential. I am counting down to break as well. Even though it's actually been so nice here in Utah lately, it never beats California, and we get to see you guys!

Lindsay Griffeth said...

It's interesting that they always end a sentence with something to do with race. I love your response to them...that's a good idea!

Hope you are feeling better soon and that you get to spend time with Steve!

The Boz said...

i have found myself saying similar things when kids are bugging me. I never have to deal with racial comments though...they'd be in big trouble. (so glad I'm at a private school) Sorry you've been sick. Hopefully you'll be better soon. AND, I really hoping we get to hang out the Tues. night before Thanksgiving.

Kendall Watkins said...

That is the funniest story I have ever heard. I miss all of your great stories!!

Brent, Bethany, and Brooke said...

Steve and Leah! Wow! So I came across your blog today and it's fun to see what you're up to! It's been a long time! It's crazy that you live in Fairfield, because we actually live in Berkeley. Looks like you guys are doing well. We are at www.3bgs.blogspot.com.